Friday, August 16, 2013

Back To School With Bentos!



So the school year has started which means it's time for me to have some fun with lunches! My boys prefer a lunch from home more often than school lunch. But the standard sandwich, chips, fruit, and juice gets old pretty quick. So I love the challenge of coming up with unique ways to pack their lunch everyday. 

A little while back I learned how to make sushi through the wonder of You Tube (more to come about that, stay tuned ^.^). Soon enough I stumbled upon some information about Japanese style bentos and thought it would be pretty awesome to try it out. By the way, a bento is basically just a boxed lunch and there are different types in different Asian countries. A Japanese bento focuses on healthy foods assembled with care in a very attractive way. They can also be found pre-made and sold in stores for travelers. Character bentos feature cute images of popular cartoon characters or pop icons that are all edible. It's really an art form! What I love about this is that the success of your bento is kinda dependent upon the love and care you put into creating it. It takes a tiny bit of attention to detail, an eye for color, and a whole lotta love but it is so worth it.
Honestly, they're actually pretty simple to make and don't really require any special tools. This is the first bento that I made for my boys. It has PB&J roll-ups, ham and cheese cuts with crackers, strawberries and grapes, and boiled eggs. When I made these I used some boiled egg molds I found on Amazon.com. The food is simple but its all in the presentation. My boys love it and they keep asking for more. I don't do this everyday but its a great option to throw in the mix. Naturally, this is the kind of thing that I can get a little obsessed with. Here's some things I've gathered just for the fun of it.






No comments:

Post a Comment