Friday, September 6, 2013

Soup's On!

What I really love about leftovers is the great soup I can create the next day. Sometimes, I'll take leftovers and create a nice hearty soup or stew for dinner. Sometimes, I'll just make a nice soup to enjoy for lunch by myself or with friends while the kids are at school. It's a really great way to experiment with different flavors and try out some new things.

For last night's dinner, we enjoyed some grilled chicken, Parmesan cous cous, and lemon butter corn. So today I made myself a small pot of soup for lunch. I started by heating up some chicken broth (I always have a carton open in the fridge). Next I added a bit of salsa (again, something I always have on hand). Then I just chopped up a piece of the chicken and dumped it in the pot along with a couple spoons of the cous cous and corn. I let the whole thing simmer for just a few minutes then gave it a little taste. All it needed then was a smidgen of sea salt. When I served myself a bowl, I topped it off with some shredded cheese. I have this thing where any tomato or beef based soup has to have cheese on it. It Is Mandatory! Don't judge me ^.^

So here's the big secret. As long as you keep some broths (chicken, beef, vegetable), tomato sauce or salsa, or any kind of cream soups (cream of chicken, mushroom, celery, etc.) on hand you have everything you need to create and awesome homemade soup from your leftovers or whatever you may have laying around in your ice box. The possibilities are endless, and it is so simple and quick. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment